After nearly a decade of economic crisis, Spain is fi nally growing again, underscoring hopes that the euro-
zone has reached a healthier place.
Spanish Residency Investment
The new Spanish Investors Visa or Golden Visa, as it is better known, and the Investor”s Residency Permit
grant non-EU nationals all the privileges available to European residents, including free access to the EU
countries within the Schengen area.
The programme guarantees the residency in Spain to investors, when they invest and maintain a property
investment of at least 500.000 Euros.
The investor’s dependents (spouse and children under the age of 18 or elder ones, who are evidently un-
able to make their living due to their state of health)
can benefi t from the same investment.
- Capital Investment
- Purchase of real estate of at least 500.000€
- Stock share of Spanish companies of at least 1.000.000€
- Bank deposits in Spanish fi nancial entities of at least 1.000.000€
- Spanish Treasury Bonds of at least 2.000.000€
Other Types of Investments
- Business Projects in Spain approved as general interest
- Highly qualifi ed professionals and researchers
- Intra-company employees transfers
Requirements to Obtain the Golden Visa
- No EU national
- Be of legal age (over 18)
- Criminal record clearance
- Be free of any contagious disease (International Health Regulation 2005)
- Not to have entered or stayed irregularly in Spanish Territory
- Not to have been refused entry in any of the Schengen countries
- Have a valid health insurance policy in Spain
- Have enough fi nancial resources to live in Spain for the period of residence
- Investment in Spain (capital or other type)
Advantages of the Golden Visa
- Initial visa valid for one year
- Residence authorization to live and work in Spain for 2 years renewable for 2 further years
- After 5 years of residence in Spain, possibility to apply for permanent residency and later for
- Travel freely within the Schengen area
- Maintain tax residence outside Spain
- Investor!s direct family members can also apply for this permit
How Long is the Process?
- One to four months once application and all required documents are submitted.
Types of residence permits granted under the Golden Visa law
- One-year residence visa for investors (year 1)
- Two-year residence visa for investors (years 2 to 5+)
- Long-term residence and Spanish nationality (year 5 onwards)
The Spanish Golden Visa (or “Property Visa“) grants automatic residency in Spain when you purchase property for 500,000€ or more. This can be any type of property: home, commercial, land, or a combination of properties. As opposed to the wealth visa, the golden visa does not require you to be in Spain 183 days of the year.
The steps to getting a golden visa:
- You come to Spain with your travel visa and look for a property.
- Once the pre-agreement (contrato de arras) is signed and corresponding funds are deposited, you can apply for the golden visa. If needed, the authorities can grant you a permit for six months so you can complete the process of buying your property.
- If your golden visa application is accepted, you will receive a visa for one year. As opposed to other visas, the golden visa application can be presented while you are in Spain.
- After receiving your golden visa, you can keep renewing the visa, as long as you do not sell your property.
Please see our property guide to understand the steps to buying a property.
In 2015, the golden visa experienced an easing in the criteria for its concession and renewal. This has helped overcome the bureaucratic hurdles that characterized the prior procedure. The government has also expanded the beneficiaries to include unmarried couples (parejas de hecho) and children of the buyers who are over 18.
Strong Abogados offers a combined golden visa service to perform all the legal work involved in the property purchase (“conveyancing”) as well as the work to obtain residency in Spain. We have longstanding expertise in both fields: since 2003, Strong Abogados has performed the legal work for 500 property transactions and helped 350 families obtain residency.
Please request our golden visa proposal and get started on your path to EU residency.
Spanish Golden Visa – What do you know about it?
Key Data about the Golden Visa
- Minimum investment of 500.000€
- Our lawyers recommend applying for the Golden Visa once you are in Spain. (It is quicker)
- It can be presented online by lawyers. Once submitted, it takes from 1 to 20 days to obtain the Resident Permit approved.
- The Golden Visa will allow you to travel freely around the Schengen zone (26 countries), live and work permanently in Spain.
- The first application last for 2yrs and then it is necessary to renew every 5yrs.
- After 10yrs of having the Residence Permit, you can apply for the Spanish Passport.
- The Golden Visa extends to your direct family (spouse and children).
The Spanish Golden Visa allows you to obtain a Spanish Residency Permit for five years extendable to your family. It will enable you to live and work in Spain and travel freely without having to request for a Visa to the Schengen countries.
There are 3 different ways to obtain it. However, the most popular option is Investing in Real Estate in Spain. The requirement is purchasing a mortgage-free property in Spain of at least €500,000 or spread the price over several properties.